Monday, May 27, 2013

Portland or Bust...

Greetings from Oregon! Beau (my boyfriend) and I arrived late last night after 4 long days of road tripping across the USA (a mere 3,118 miles under our belt - not counting quick detours to some must-see-sights in South Dakota). In total, we drove through 14 states averaging 12-13 hours in the car per day. Our goal was to make it out here quickly and plan a longer trip with more stops on the way back (it pained me to skip over the National Women's Hall of Fame in Seneca Falls, NY but we'll be doing that on our return trip). Since 12 hours in a car driving through flat, uneventful prairie and farm country can cause one to question their sanity (no offense intended, Midwesterners!), we scheduled a few breaks along the way. Some highlights:

In Somerville - packed and ready to go
Somewhere in Ohio (and clearly excited about it)

Mitchell, South Dakota - home of the (wait for it...)
WORLD'S ONLY CORN PALACE!
A quick stop at the Wall Drug in Wall, South Dakota for water, 5 cent coffee, and...
JACKELOPE RIDES!
T-REX ENCOUNTERS!
FIRST-RATE GORILLA PIANO PLAYING!
From the Black Hills to...
Mount Rushmore (in Keystone, South Dakota)!

 [ANOTHER 20 HOURS in the car and then...]

Portland (and much needed food/drinks!)
It was a great trip and we had a ton of fun (though we're both pretty exhausted). Since arriving, I've been busy unpacking and getting settled before I start my internship. Tomorrow's my first day - I'll report back soon on my first week at Mercy Corps!

No comments:

Post a Comment